London. 11 January 2018 – The British Association for Screen Entertainment (BASE) has today announced that entries for the 2018 BASE Awards are now open, with new awards categories, a refreshed judging line-up and the opportunity for entrants to put forward multiple submissions collectively ringing the changes as the event enters its 38th year.
Taking place at the Tobacco Dock on June 7, 2018, this year’s awards have been tweaked to reflect consumer and category trends whilst continuing to reward those in the industry embracing the need to innovate and take risks. With that in mind, gongs this year will include a brand new Creative Marketing Initiative award that prioritises innovative and exceptional creative success over transactional success. The full roster also features a renewed focus on the contribution made to the category by retailers, with awards including; Physical Retailer of the Year, Online Physical Retailer of the Year, Digital Retailer of the Year, Digital Retailer Innovation of the Year, Physical Retailer Innovation of the Year and In-Store Theatre Initiative of the Year. Further, the Special Interest Award has been expanded in 2018 to incorporate entries from Children’s, Sport, Fitness, Music and Comedy genres.
Awards entries forms, which must be returned to BASE by close of play on Friday, 16th February, are now available to download from the BASE website (https://baseorg.uk/base-awards-2018/), with full submission decks due for receipt by close of play on Friday, 9th March.
Judging is confirmed to take place on Wednesday, 18th April, and this year the BASE team will be welcoming a mix of familiar and new faces to the judge’s table, with broadcaster and cineaste Edith Bowman, ITV Daytime’s Head of Film Nick Rylance and Empire magazine editor Terri White joining a list of respected judges from across the industry to gauge the relative merits of entries from across the category.
Liz Bales, Chief Executive, British Association for Screen Entertainment, said: “The BASE Awards continue to go from strength to strength so it’s with genuine excitement that we once again ask our colleagues from across the industry to join in celebrating another 12 months of hard work and fantastic results by submitting entries for 2018.
“The event truly is a flagship moment in the industry calendar and one that places a well-deserved spotlight on the skills and innovation powering the industry and, with the revised awards line-up and the addition of some exciting new judges able to offer a fresh perspective, albeit great category insight, we hope you’ll agree that 2018’s event is already shaping up to be a night to remember!”
The 2018 BASE Awards categories in full are as follows:
- Physical Retailer of the Year
- Online Physical Retailer of the Year
- Digital Retailer of the Year
- Digital Retailer Innovation of the Year
- Physical Retailer Innovation of the Year
- In-Store Theatre Initiative of the Year
- Campaign of the Year for FILM – Non-theatrical
- Campaign of the Year for FILM – Up to £1m Box Office
- Campaign of the Year for FILM – £1m – £4.99m Box Office
- Campaign of the Year for FILM – £5m – £14.99m Box Office
- Campaign of the Year for FILM – Over £15m Box Office
- Campaign of the Year for TV
- Campaign of the Year for Special Interest *INCLUDING CHILDREN’S, SPORT, MUSIC & COMEDY*
- Campaign of the Year for Catalogue: Single Product
- Campaign of the Year for Catalogue: Multiple Product
- Campaign of the Year for Catalogue: Digital Product
- PR/Publicity Initiative of the Year
- Supplier of the Year
- Outstanding Innovation Award
- Creative Marketing Initiative of the Year
- Distributor of the Year
- Title of the Year